Toronto Police Service
In this introductory course, you will be presented with an overview of the history of 2SLGBTQ+ rights in Canada. You will learn terminology and vocabulary connected with 2SLGBTQ+ identities. Content in this course intends to build upon your understanding of diversity, the importance of respect for all people, and how to demonstrate inclusion and respect and dignity for all people no matter their identity.
This training is a unique opportunity to challenge the lens with which you view Canada, your role within the public safety sector in Canada, and the way that you interact with people in your community.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- List the gender identities encompassed in the acronym 2SLGBTQ+
- Describe the components of human identity
- Explain how 2SLGBTQ+ histories and major global events have impacted 2SLGBTQ+ experiences
- Use transgender identities and 2SLGBTQ+ terminology
- Describe implicit bias and how heteronormativity is reflected in our implicit bias
- Illustrate how to adapt current skills and practice to support trans and gender diverse people in our communities
- Identify the ways in which people and our society discriminate against 2SLGBTQ+ people
- Identify ways in which 2SLGBTQ+ people are victimized based on their sexual orientation, and ways that we can prevent revictimization
- Identify steps for facilitating change within the public safety sector
- List ways in which public safety officers can participate in fair and equitable interactions with 2SLGBTQ+ people
- Outline barriers faced by 2SLGBTQ+ people in accessing public safety services