Items of Religious Significance: Religion of Islam
Toronto Police Service
Canada is home to more than half a million Muslims who represent diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. As with other religions, there are customs, places and items that hold great significance within the Islamic faith. In the course of their duties, it is important for police officers to understand and treat these traditions with consideration and respect.
Developed by the Toronto Police Service, Items of Religious Significance: Religion of Islam will enhance officer awareness about the Islamic faith and the various practices, places, and items of significance associated with that faith. In addition to reviewing the significance of articles such as clothing, head coverings, prayer rugs and prayer beads and how they should be handled when encountered, this course explores gender issues, sacred spaces and considers specific issues such as supporting victims of sexual violence.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Describe important aspects involving the history of Islam
- Recognize a traditional Muslim greeting
- Describe the Islamic religious requirements
- Describe and explain how to handle each item of religious significance
- Recognize best practices in dealing with gender issues in various Muslim cultures
- Describe and explain how to handle other important objects such as sacred space in Muslim homes
- Summaries rules and procedures relating to items of religious significance
- Explain how to best deal with an arrest involving a person practicing Islam as her/his faith