Toronto Police Service
As police officers, it is important to understand the various religions in a community and the items that hold significant religious value to persons of those faiths. As the world’s third largest religion, Hinduism is practiced by a significant number of Canadians from various ethnic backgrounds.
Developed by Toronto Police Services, Items of Religious Significance: Hindu Religion will enhance officer awareness about the Hindu religion and the items associated with that faith. In addition to reviewing articles of faith, this course will address Hindu religious festivals, places of worship, the status of women, and the protocols that officers should observe to ensure that police officers are able to deal with members of the Hindu community appropriately and with respect.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Describe important aspect involving the history of the Hindu religion
- Describe the Hindu religious requirements
- Describe each item of faith
- Explain how to handle each item of faith
- Describe the status of women in the Hindu faith
- Describe other important objects such as places of worship in the Hindu faith
- Explain how officers should conduct themselves with attending at a place of worship or residence of members from the Hindu faith
- Summarize rules and procedures relating to items of religious significance
- Explain how to best deal with an arrest involving a person practicing the Hindu religion