Conducted Energy Weapon – Taser 7 (Saskatchewan)
Saskatchewan Municipal Police & RCMP
This course has been specifically developed for municipal officers in Saskatchewan and is consistent with the Policy Manual for Saskatchewan Municipal Police Services as authorized by the Saskatchewan Police Commission.
Conducted energy weapons (CEW) are widely used by law enforcement to gain control of subjects in potentially violent situations. However, the use of CEWs is not without risk. The 2007 tragedy involving Robert Dziekanski precipitated a comprehensive examination of the use of CEWs. As a result of that review, the Saskatchewan Police Commission has implemented new standards for the use of CEWs and operator certification.
Conducted Energy Weapon – Taser 7 (Saskatchewan) is designed to ensure police officers can safely use a CEW and can articulate the legal, technical, medical, and accountability requirements for use of a CEW. The content of this course is consistent with the Policy Manual for Saskatchewan Municipal Police Services – Standards and is mandatory for all municipal police officers who operate CEWs in Saskatchewan.
To receive CEW Operator Certification for the Taser 7 in the province of Saskatchewan, municipal police officers must successfully complete the CPKN Conducted Energy Weapon Operator Training course and the AXON Taser 7 course prior to attending the practical hands-on component and final assessment (to be scheduled by the officer’s police agency).
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the CEW operator certification and recertification requirements
- Explain the CEW online course assessment
- Explain the National Use of Force Framework
- Describe response options
- Apply response options in practical terms
- Explain some of the federal statutes pertaining to use of force – Criminal Code (CC)
- Explain the Municipal Police Discipline Regulations, 1991
- Identify your police agency operational policy
- Explain civil liability
- Explain public accountability – professional reputation
- Define key terms
- Explain and apply the Policy Manual for Saskatchewan Municipal Police Services – Standards for the use of CEWs
- Describe potential physiological effects/injuries
- Explain the role of the automated external defibrillators (AEDs)
- Explain medically high-risk CEW discharge
- Define emotionally disturbed persons
- Explain the medical considerations if physiological effects/injuries occur
- Define key words regarding CEW incidents
- Explain the Policy Manual for Saskatchewan Municipal Police Services – Standards for Use of Force reporting and data downloads
- Explain CEW operator documentation and downloading responsibilities
- Identify additional requirements for CEW operator certification