NVision Insight Group Inc.
Welcome to The Path: Your Journey Through Indigenous Canada.
We welcome you in joining us on this path towards increasing your cultural awareness of Indigenous Peoples across Canada. This program is a first step in meeting the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action for Canadians to receive “cultural competency training”; we hope it will be the first of many steps along your own personal path of discovery. This online course consists of six modules, each of which includes two, three or four lessons. Each module is between 40 and 75 minutes in length, with a total time between 5 and 6 hours. Each module includes narrated videos, reflection questions, video clips, interactive exercises, and knowledge check questions. Learners are provided with a certificate of completion and a workbook.
When you have completed the course, you will be able to:
- Recall the terms and words used to describe Indigenous peoples
- Describe defining moments that shaped the modern history of Indigenous peoples and their relationship with European settlers, the British Crown, and the Dominion of Canada
- Explain the background and practical impact of key legal documents like the Indian Act, historical and modern treaties, and recent rulings by the Supreme Court of Canada
- Compare contemporary urban Indigenous realities and identity
- Describe the importance of cultural traditions and values of Indigenous peoples
- Discuss ways to strengthen relationships with First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples, communities, and governments