Vancouver Police Department
The Professional Standards Investigations (PSI) course is specifically designed for individuals who conduct public trust investigations into a citizen complaint or other allegations of misconduct. Professional standards investigations occur within very different cultural, legal and political contexts; serve a very different purpose; and involve very different participants than criminal investigations. Hence, professional standards investigators must have the appropriate knowledge and skills to ensure professionalism in all aspects of complaint-based or ordered investigations relating to the conduct of members under Part 11 of the B.C. Police Act.
The PSI eLearning course is a required component of the blended learning course. The eLearning course will focus exclusively on the professional standards investigation processes in British Columbia. During the practicum portion, learners will be required to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities required to conduct a professional standards investigation.
As a result, this eLearning course will provide an overview of: the history and foundation of professional standards investigation and the legislative framework within which a professional standards investigator must operate.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Recall the history and foundation of professional standards investigations.
- Identify the legal framework of the public trust process.
- Describe how to initiate a PSS investigation.
- Recognize statutory investigation procedures.
- Describe how to conduct a competent public trust investigation.
- Explain how to analyze evidence for the purpose of drawing conclusions.
- Describe how to prepare the final investigation report.
- Explain the steps in the public trust process occurring after submitting the FIR.
- Describe the adjudication procedures following a public trust investigation.
- Identify the alternate resolutions to complaints and public trust investigations.