Interviewing Victims and Witnesses
Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police (AACP)
- The acquisition of detailed and accurate information from victims and witnesses is crucial to the successful resolution of any criminal investigation. This course is designed to provide you with the skills to employ a structured interview process when interviewing victims and witnesses.When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and value of using a structured interview process for victims and witnesses.
- Recognize and apply various rapport building skills with victims and witnesses for use during the interview process.
- Describe steps to take to prepare for a structured interview with a victim or witness.
- Review an interview template for use in the structured interview process.
- Describe the introduction step of the structured interview process.
- Recognize and review how to adapt preparation steps for the structured interview process in a first responder interview.
- Explain how to establish the purpose of an interview with a victim or witness.
- Apply version and development skills for use in a structured interview with victims or witnesses.
- Recognize and develop productive questioning for use in the structured interview process with a victim or witness.
- Recognize and demonstrate summarization and assessment skills in a structured interview.
- Identify the purpose of a written statement in a structured interview.
This course is part of the Investigative Skills Education Program (ISEP) Level 200.