Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
The acquisition of detailed and accurate information from victims and witnesses is crucial to the successful resolution of any criminal investigation. While the process of obtaining information through an interview may seem relatively straight forward, in reality, interviewing is a complex skill. Simultaneously asking questions, processing responses, framing additional questions, and taking notes are among the tasks an interviewer faces.
Interviewing Victims and Witnesses – Part I is the first course in the four part Interview & Interrogation Series. It teaches learners a structured approach to interviewing. This not only decreases the complexity of the interview task, but also increases the amount of detailed and accurate information obtained, instills confidence in both the interviewer and interviewee (i.e., of the interviewers competency), and assists in maintaining control of the interview and its objectives.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and value of using a structured interview process for victims and witnesses.
- Recognize and apply various rapport building skills with victims and witnesses for use during the interview process.
- Describe steps to take to prepare for a structured interview with a victim or witness.
- Review an interview template for use in the structured interview process.
- Describe the introduction step of the structured interview process.
- Recognize and review how to adapt structured interview process preparation steps for a first responder interview.
- Explain how to establish the purpose of an interview with a victim or witness.
- Apply version and development skills for use in a structured interview with victims or witnesses.
- Recognize and develop productive questioning for use in the structured interview process with a victim or witness.
- Recognize and demonstrate summarization and assessment skills in a structured interview.
- Identify the purpose of a written statement in a structured interview.
- Identify closing skills in a structured interview.
Also offered in the Interview & Interrogation Series:
- Interviewing Victims and Witnesses – Part II: Memory Enhancing Techniques
- Interviewing Suspects
- Interrogation Techniques