BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
In August 2018, the Introduction to the Cannabis Legislation course was launched to provide an overview of the federal Cannabis Act which creates the foundation for the legalization and regulation of cannabis in Canada.
The Cannabis Act, in part, governs the federal production of cannabis and gives provinces and territories the ability to develop enforcement systems to oversee the distribution and retail sale of cannabis. These provincial/territorial enforcement systems will vary between each province and territory to best suit the health and safety concerns in those communities.
The Government of British Columbia passed the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act (CCLA), Cannabis Distribution Act (CDA), Cannabis Licensing Regulation, and Cannabis Control Regulation. This new legislation establishes the framework for compliance and enforcement of cannabis in the province. In addition to creating provincial violation tickets, it limits non-public possession to 1,000 grams of dried cannabis or the equivalent amount to dried cannabis, establishes comprehensive rules for the public consumption of non-medical cannabis, the regulation of cannabis licences, and production of non-medical cannabis.
This course has been developed to provide a timely, relevant, and interactive e-learning course to assist police in gaining a solid working understanding of their roles and responsibilities in enforcing the new provincial cannabis legislation. The purpose of this course is to provide you with an overview of the CCLA, as well as outline sections and offences that govern the retail sale of cannabis, the growing of cannabis, possession of cannabis, and the public consumption of cannabis.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Differentiate between the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act and the Cannabis Act.
- Explain the provincial framework for supply, distribution, and sales of medical and non-medical cannabis.
- Explain the BC distribution process of non-medical cannabis.
- Examine the offences in relation to conduct in an establishment under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.
- Differentiate the core concepts between the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act and the Cannabis Act in regards to possession of cannabis.
- Examine the offences related to possession of cannabis under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.
- Identify the offences related to the possession of cannabis and traveling across provincial and international borders to the United States.
- Differentiate the core concepts between the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act and the Cannabis Act in regards to the growing of cannabis.
- Examine the offences related to the growing of cannabis under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.
- Examine the offences related to public consumption of cannabis under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.
- Recognize the further restrictions regarding production and consumption under Provincial Strata, Bylaws, and the Residential Tenancy Act Amendments.