Toronto Police Service
Tragic events such as Columbine, Taber, and Dawson College have changed the reality of school environments. It has also changed the way the police respond to school shootings and other violent incidents. A rapid, tactical police response to an Active Attacker is essential to minimize the risk to students and staff and to effectively stop the threat.
This course focuses on the key issues to understanding and investigating threats to school safety. In addition to instructing officers on the information and techniques relevant to the investigation of a school related shooting and an Active Attacker, this course prepares officers to respond to and deal with threats in a school environment, communicate information to specialized police investigators, and increase their safety in interactions with a threat. This course also reviews the dynamics of an Active Attacker and the tactical solutions to be utilized during high risk situations at schools.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Learn the new terms related to Threats to School Safety
- Understand the tactics to be employed with an Active Attacker
- Analyze the conduct of both the school shooter and Active Attacker
- Consider how the staff and students at the school will react to the Threat
- Examine how threats to school safety will affect both the officer and the target of the threat
- Determine how police investigate and stop the threat to safety of both themselves and others
- Consider the issue of officer safety when dealing Threats to School Safety