Ontario Provincial Police
Suspect apprehension pursuits can be one of the most hazardous operations police officers perform. The safety of the public, the suspect, and the officers involved must be continually evaluated to ensure a pursuit is brought to a safe conclusion. Tire deflation devices are one tactic that may be employed during a pursuit. However, deployment of these devices is not without risk – many officers have been seriously injured or killed when using this method to stop a fleeing suspect. For that reason, officer safety is paramount in the deployment of tire deflation devices.
Spike Belt Deployment addresses primary considerations for officer safety during deployment of a tire deflation device. Using reference video, this course provides general guidelines and recommendations for identifying protected deployment locations, selecting appropriate cover structures, and other tactics for the safe and effective use of tire deflation devices.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Identify and locate the safest places to deploy a spike belt;
- Recognize the basic operation of the spike belt;
- List the legislated procedures when deploying the spike belt;
- Identify the appropriate steps to take according to the OPPâ€™s SAP policy; and
- Demonstrate the appropriate steps to take in order to terminate an SAP.