Toronto Police Service
The nature of policing can have a significant impact on officer health. Shift work, changing schedules, and the stresses of the job can contribute to poor lifestyle choices. As a result, police officers are at a higher risk for heart disease than the general population.
Healthy Eating provides information about 5 major heart health points with practical strategies to prevent heart disease and stroke. This course is designed to increase awareness on topics such as stress, blood pressure, blood sugar, fatigue management, and cholesterol. This course will also provide learners with practical tips and suggestions for living a heart healthy lifestyle.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Measure your waistline correctly and determine if you are at risk for heart disease
- State the relationship between stress and heart disease
- State the reasons for completing a CRP test
- State the relationship between exercise and heart health
- State the role that blood pressure plays in heart health and the reasons for tracking it
- Identify natural blood pressure management strategies
- Identify a range of foods high in sodium
- State the relationship between refined carbs, poor blood sugar management, and heart disease
- State the basic principles of healthy blood sugar management
- State the role that cholesterol plays in the heart disease process
- Identify factors which can naturally lower cholesterol
- Identify good fats for heart healthy living