Toronto Police Service
Fatigue is a perceived state of “weariness” caused by prolonged or intensive exertion. Particularly common among shift workers, studies have suggested fatigue can have an impact similar to alcohol impairment. This can result in slower reaction time, poor decision making, increased accidents, reduced vigilance, and cardio-metabolic disease risk factors. As such, fatigue represents real health, safety, and performance concerns for police officers.
Fatigue Management is an awareness level course and is designed to better inform members about the dangers, health risks, personal and workplace implications relating to a lack of quality sleep and how fatigue can impact at individual and organizational levels.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Appreciate the effects of fatigue
- Restate how chronic sleep deprivation affects an individual’s ability to perform tasks
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of fatigue management strategies
- Contrast the strategies that a member who is suffering from fatigue could employ
- Demonstrate sleep countermeasures for the two most common sleep disorders