Canadian Security Intelligence Service
Everyone has some knowledge about lying. While lying can take many forms, both verbal and non-verbal, deception can be perceived through a range of behaviors and indicators. The ability to recognize those indicators and assess them in situational contexts is an important skill for law enforcement professionals.
Deception Detection Techniques is designed to increase your knowledge and skill relative to identifying and resolving deception indicators, specifically in the areas of the face and body. Emphasis is placed on recognizing facial expressions of emotions that are associated with deception. This course will provide a basic foundation of the knowledge and skills needed to identify and resolve deception indicators. Because the skills learned in this course are perishable, learners are encouraged to re-visit the practical exercises on a regular basis.
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Define key terms associated with deception
- Define basic concepts associated with deception
- Describe concepts associated with expressions of emotions to include relevant terms and general attributes
- Identify the facial characteristics associated with the various emotional expressions
- Apply the key characteristics to distinguish certain expressions of emotion
- Given photos and videos of subjects, identify the expression of emotion shown on the face
- Given scenarios or videos of subjects in an interview, identify research-based deception indicators associated with the body
- Given video recordings of interviews with subjects, observe and analyze behavioral characteristics and identify the deception indicators