Free for OPVTA members; $25.00 for non OPVTA members.
Toronto Police Service
As witnessed through videos, media reports, and officer experiences, individuals possess or have access to firearms on a more frequent basis. As such, in the interest of public and personal safety, it is extremely important for front-line police officers to be able to recognize the signs and indications that an individual is armed.
Characteristics of an Armed Person reinforces the edict that OFFICER SAFETY IS A PRIORITY. Through the use of images, videos, audio and text-based narratives, and specific case law, this course will instruct officers on identifying a person that is armed.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand where the guns are coming from
- Determine an individual’s dominant side
- Distinguish methods and types of firearm concealment and positioning of makeshift holsters
- Identify the body movements and behavioural patterns of an armed person
- Recognize the clothing characteristics of an armed person
- Observe and identify unusual or exotic firearms
- Employ officer-specific enforcement tactics and practices
- Identify characteristics relative to stopping a vehicle containing an armed person
- Articulate the grounds for actions related to court evidence with associated case law