Vancouver Police Department
Supervisors are tasked with many different aspects of policing and must be efficient in the core competencies such as communication, coaching, problem solving and decision making, leadership, resource management, and community focus.
Acting Supervisor Training: Containing Critical Incidents is one of four modules in the Acting Supervisor Program. It explores issues and tactics associated with containment, public safety, and crisis negotiation.
Upon Completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recall the basic tactics used in patrol
- Recall the resources available to patrol supervisors
- Recall the definition of containment
- Recall the definition of lockdown
- Explain the sequential steps to containment (SLOCEEI)
- Compare the management of spontaneous and planned events
- Articulate a supervisor’s responsibilities when responding to crowd management events
- Recognize and appreciate the role of crisis negotiators and how they can assist temporary supervisors at a call
- Develop and awareness of the crisis negotiator role at high angle negotiations