- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Occupational Health and Safety: Supervisor
- Course Category:
As a police supervisor, the health and safety of officers under your command depends on you. In the course of day-to-day operations, police supervisors need to know what legislation applies to the workplace in general and what aspects of the legislation apply to them personally. Knowing this is essential for protecting officers from injury, limiting the personal liability of the supervisor, and assisting the employer in achieving legislated and moral obligations to protect workers.
Occupational Health & Safety: Supervisor is designed to ensure that police supervisors understand how health and safety is integrated into emergency and non-emergency events, including the work conducted at the police facility. This course will assist the police supervisors in achieving the ultimate goal of protecting their workers.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the impact of workplace incidents
- Calculate the associated cost of a workplace incident using the Incident Detailed Costing form
- Identify applicable pieces of health and safety legislation using Ontario legislation as an example
- Recall rights and responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Explain the purpose of a Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Recall the legal rights and responsibilities of a Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Explain the rights, duties, and responsibilities of parties involved in a work refusal
- Summarize the work refusal process
- Identify common health and safety hazards in a workplace
- Explain the principles used in recognizing, assessing, and controlling hazards
- Recall the legal requirements of workplace inspections
- Recall the tools and information used to complete an effective workplace inspections
- Explain how to conduct a workplace inspection, prepare a report, and follow up
- Explain the purpose of an incident investigation
- Recall the legal requirements for investigations
- Identify the tools and information used to complete an effective incident investigation
- Recall the roles and responsibilities of all parties involved in an early and safe return to work
This course is designed for all police supervisors.
Content for this course has been provided by the Public Services Health and Safety Association.
|The development of this course was funded by the
Government of Canada's Sector Council Program.
Content Provider: Public Services Health and Safety Association
Language: English / French
Length: 2 hours
Release Date: 2011-02-09